IMAP proxy advertising MAILBOX-REFERRALS and confusing Pine

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Fri Aug 14 13:08:23 EDT 2009

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, David Mayo wrote:

> Andrew Morgan wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, David Mayo wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop the front-end proxy
>>> server from advertising MAILBOX-REFERRALS and/or for Pine to ignore such
>>> capabilities.
>>
>> This was originally a patch I obtained from the folks at Portland State
>> University:
>>
>> http://oregonstate.edu/~morgan/cyrus/patches/imapd-disable-referrals.patch
>>
>> It does exactly what you want in cyrus 2.2.
>
> Thanks very much for this! We applied this patch this morning and Pine is now
> behaving itself.
>
> On the down-side, our quota scripts using Cyrus::IMAP::Admin have stopped
> working as they are not being sent MAILBOX-REFERRALS in the CAPABILITY
> string. This means they are ignoring the referral sent to them by the server
> when they issue a GETQUOTA. Reading RFC 2193 Section 3, paragraph 1 this is
> understandable:
>
>   IMAP4 servers that support this extension MUST list the keyword
>   MAILBOX-REFERRALS in their CAPABILITY response.  No client action is
>   needed to invoke the MAILBOX-REFERRALS capability in a server.
>
> I feel like we've picked at the thread of a jumper and it's slowly
> unravelling here!

I'm using IMAP::Admin here for quota-related activities.  However, my
scripts first determine which backend the mailbox is on.  Then they
connect directly to the backend.  That may be why I'm not seeing the
problem you describe.  I'm using Cyrus 2.3.14 here, with referrals
disabled.  This is what I see when running cyradm on a frontend:

cyrus-fe1:/etc# cyradm --user cyrus localhost
Password:
localhost> lq user.morgan
Password:
  STORAGE 185512/256000 (72.465625%)
localhost>

It appears that it is following a referral to the backend, because it
prompts me for the password again.

 	Andy