How to test timsieved

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Thu Aug 13 02:39:46 EDT 2009

Dave McMurtrie schreef:
> Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using a program called Ingo to manage my sieve-scripts.
>> http://www.horde.org/ingo/
>>
>> But it does not work anymore, when change a sieve script it says:
>> --------
>> Changes saved.
>> There was an error activating the script. The driver said:
>> "Authentication Error"
>> --------
>> The rest of the (web)mail server works fine.
>>
>> The driver is timsieved. How can I test timsieved directly, so without
>> Ingo?  I will add some things at the end of the mail what I have
>> allready tried. I think sieve accepts plain passwords.
>
> Try sivtest.  It still relies on you knowing enough about the protocol
> to know what you want to test, but it will take care of the connection
> and authentication parts for you.

Ah, looks-like the problem is in Sieve:
--------
paul at sigmund:~$ sivtest -v localhost
S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.1.18-IPv6-Debian-2.1.18-5.1"
S: "SASL" "PLAIN"
S: "SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify
subaddress relational regex"
S: OK
Please enter your password:
C: AUTHENTICATE "PLAIN" {16+}
AHBhdWwAZXJ1NGJj
S: NO "Authentication Error"
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0
--------

Anybody here knows how to find-out why the authentication does not work?

On another machine (with Cyrus 2.2) everything works fine.

Thanks for you help!

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--