squatter Writing index update: No such file or directory

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Aug 12 17:38:35 EDT 2009

# sudo -u cyrus squatter -v user.ross.R
Indexing mailbox user.ross.R... Writing index update: No such file or directory

Does anybody know what the error means, or what might be causing it?

I have squatter set to run nightly, but for about a month its only done
a few mailboxes and then stopped.  I believe it is failing on the one
shown above since that's consistent with the time stamps, the
alphabetical order of directories, and the error shown above.

That mailbox has the largest squat file by far:
171793 623216 -rw-------   1 cyrus    mail     637546664 Jul 14 05:58 ./mail/r/user/ross/R/cyrus.squat

However, that's only half of free space, if I've got my units right:
# df .
/dev/mapper/big_container-var
                      14712376  13421392   1290984  92% /var

The biggest file it succeeds on is 39784890 bytes (40MB); /tmp has about
278440 1k blocks (278MB).

So if squatter is using /tmp, that might explain things.

Ross Boylan