Cyrus administration problem

Reinaldo de Carvalho reinaldoc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:25:13 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Nybbles2Byte<nybbles2byte at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks but I am not sure how you are getting that conclusion from this
> wording in the manual.  As far as I can see it almost (but not quite) the
> reverse of what you are saying.

# man imapd.conf

virtdomains: off
      Enable virtual domain support.  If enabled, the user’s domain
will be determined by splitting a fully qualified userid at the  last
’@’  or ’%’  symbol.

userid refer to "login" user not reverse DNS.

fully qualified userid => johndoe at example.org (no dns lookup)
unqualified userid => johndoe (no dns lookup if
sasl_ldap_default_domain* or sasl_ldap_default_realm* and
defaultdomain is set)

* without sasl_ prefix at saslauthd.conf .

With saslauthd.conf:

ldap_default_realm: default.example.org
ldap_filter: (&(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)(mail=%U@%d))

Login with unqualified userid root makes query to
(&(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)(mail=root at default.example.org))

With "admins: root" root become global admin.

This example is to salsauthd with LDAP backhend.

> Configuring Virtual Domains
> Introduction
>
> Virtual domains is the practice of hosting a service for more than one
> domain on one server. Cyrus IMAP has the ability to host IMAP/POP mailboxes
> for multiple domains (e.g. test at example.com and test at example.net) on a
> single server or Murder.
>
> In order to accomplish this, Cyrus needs to know which domain to look in
> when a mailbox is accessed. There are two ways in which Cyrus can determine
> the domain:
>
>     * Fully qualified userid - the client logs in with a userid containing
> the domain in which the user belongs (e.g test at example.com or
> test%example.net)
>     * IP address - the server looks up the domain based on the IP address of
> the receiving interface (useful for servers with multiple NICs or using IP
> aliasing)
>
> Both of these methods are active if the virtdomains option is set to on (or
> yes, 1, true) and can be used in conjunction with one another. If the
> virtdomains option is set to userid, then only the first method is used.
> Note that a fully qualified userid takes precedence over a domain obtained
> from the IP address.

Reinaldo de Carvalho
http://korreio.sf.net
http://python-cyrus.sf.net

"Don't try to adapt the software to the way you work, but rather
yourself to the way the software works" (myself)