Need advice on building a Cyrus IMAP cluster

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 4 20:28:24 EDT 2009

Michael Sims wrote:

> Overall, my general feeling is that active/active is still a bit too
> bleeding edge for me to recommend it to my boss.

Bleeding edge?  VMS had this figured out ages ago :)

> I know that it has been
> done, but it seems to be relatively uncommon.  I might try to toy around
> with it in a lab environment for kicks, but I think I'm going to lean
> towards an active/passive to be on the safe side.

That's probably a wise decision.

To be honest, if I was the decision-maker back when we rolled out the
Cyrus cluster at Pitt I never would have done it.  The Cyrus guy at
University of Pittsburgh (Ben Carter) is a ninja and the cluster was his
idea.  He was confident that it would work and it did. It performed
extremely well and to my knowledge it never suffered an outage.

Good luck with whatever solution you pursue.

Thanks,

Dave