imapd -U in cyrus.conf

Matt Selsky selsky at columbia.edu
Tue Aug 4 14:48:03 EDT 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 2:23 PM, Peter Clark wrote:

> Not really understanding the -U (reuses) flag, is there an advantage
> using it? I imagine that there is in some specific instances so I
> better
> ask the question differently. When would it be advantageous to use the
> -U flag in cyrus.conf?
>
> ie:
>  imap          cmd="imapd -U 60" listen="imap" prefork=6

We use the following on Linux, where fork() is cheap:

         imap            cmd="imapd -U 1" listen="imap" proto="tcp4"

On other platforms where fork() is more expensive, you'll want to set -
U higher to save on fork() overhead.

We also wanted to use -U 1 so we could be sure changes to imapd.conf
would be used more quickly since there wouldn't be imapd procs hanging
around with old settings.

Cheers,

--
Matt