imapd -U in cyrus.conf

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 4 14:38:47 EDT 2009

Peter Clark wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Not really understanding the -U (reuses) flag, is there an advantage to
> using it? I imagine that there is in some specific instances so I better
> ask the question differently. When would it be advantageous to use the
> -U flag in cyrus.conf?
>
> ie:
>   imap          cmd="imapd -U 60" listen="imap" prefork=6

If process creation is expensive on your system, it's good to reuse an
existing imapd process as many times as possible to avoid the fork()
overhead.

If there's a bad memory leak in imapd, you'd want it to exit often and
have a new one be spawned so you don't exhaust virtual memory on your
system.

hth,

Dave
--