How to use global admin & virtual domains?

Nybbles2Byte nybbles2byte at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 06:58:35 EDT 2009

Hello ,

I'm trying to use global admins with virtual domains and I am not sure how it works. It works find with admins for specific domains.

Part of the documentation says that every user has a domain when using virtual domains and part says use a user without a domain for a global domain.

Could someone please tell/show me what I am missing here? ...and thank you!

To see what I am experiencing, here's the results of two different ways of using cyradm I have tried:

Scenario 1:

>cyradm -u root
cyradm> lm *@seowebsales.com
listmailbox: no connection to server
cyradm>

Doesn't look up the SQL Database for authentication.

Scenario 2:

>cyradm -u root domain1.com
Password:
IMAP Password:
Login failed: authentication failure at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm line 119
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with  as root

Does try to authenticate. However, when watching the MySQL query log it chooses a virtual domain at random to try for the "realm" part of the query. If it happens to use the domain that I want to administrate, then it succeeds instead of fails as it did in the case above.

Here is my imap.conf file:

#         Cyrus IMAPD 2.3.11
#         Cyrus-SASL  2.1.22

#
# Cyrus-SASL options
#
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sql
sasl_log_level: 7
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_sql_hostnames: localhost
sasl_sql_user: cyrus
sasl_sql_passwd: **************
sasl_sql_database: system_mail
sasl_sql_select: SELECT `password` FROM `accounts` WHERE `user`='%u' AND `realm`='%r' AND `virtual` != 0
sasl_sql_insert: INSERT INTO `accounts` (`user`, `realm`, `password`) VALUES ('%u', '%r', '%v')
sasl_sql_update: UPDATE `accounts` SET `user`='%u',`realm`='%r',`password`='%v' WHERE `user`='%u' AND `realm`='%r'

#
# Cyrus-IMAP Options
#
admins: cyrus root root at domain1.com root at domain2.com root at domain3.com