Multiple IMAP connections from new IMAP clients

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Thu Apr 23 15:23:10 EDT 2009

On 04/23/2009 01:57 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> We've had a problem recently with the number of imapd processes on our
> Cyrus front-end increasing steadily until it filled the process table.
> It seems that some recent IMAP clients will normally open a number of
> IMAP connections to their server, and will open more based on user
> activity.  Each of these causes a new imapd process to be spawned on
> the front-end.  As far as I know, the server treats each connection
> independantly, even though the client may consider one to be permanent
> and the others to be transient.
>
> What are people doing to protect their Cyrus servers from this
> increasing number of connections, each of which consumes resources on
> the server?  This problem is going to get worse as more sophisticated
> clients become popular.  Is many small front-ends the solution?

We've been using imapproxyd to help solve just this kind of problem.
Haven't used it with a murder, but expect it could still be useful.

Cheers,
    -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight llc.                              www.onlight.com
2266 North Prospect Avenue #610	          v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53202-6306          f. 414.290.0335