AW: Re: AW: Re: Message contains NUL characters - howto dump?

Klemens Puritscher cyrus at puri.jet2web.at
Tue Apr 21 07:18:10 EDT 2009

Markus Rebensburg schrieb:
> Klemens Puritscher schrieb:
> > Phil Brutsche schrieb:
> >
> >> The error message is being created by the LMTP service - NUL
> characters
> >> aren't valid in ASCII messages. The email in question is being
> generated
> >> incorrectly somewhere, somehow.
> >>

> > thanks for your reply.
> > I know that in the email must be a NUL character, but I cannot see
> this NUL character during a tcpdump.
> >
> > Do you know, or someone else in this list, who can I safe find this
> NUL character?
> >

> Maybe it is a problem of lines ine the email which are longer than the
> standard allows. Cyrus has a fixed buffer for each line in the email. If
> the line is longer than this buffer lmtp inserts a terminating string
> character (NUL) itself. This could be the reason you cannot see the
> Character in the tcp stream of your mail.
> We have the same problem with the NUL character here produced by replies
> to emails with some HTML Attachments which have only one linebreak in
> the whole file.

thanks for this hint.
This possibility should I have already fixed, in my exim-config:

[...]
acl_check_data:
  deny   message      = Line too long
         regex        = ^.{4000,}
  accept
[...]

(IMHO is the max. line lenght in emails 4000 characters.)

Are there other possibilities for the lmtp error "Message contains NUL characters"?

regards,
Klemens