limit tcp sessions opened by an IMAP client

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Apr 14 11:23:12 EDT 2009

Strange to see so many logins spread over a short time.  They seem to
be in pairs, which is the way some clients start up.  I wonder if the
client thinks the connection has dropped, and so it starts new sessions.
I realize the server's netstat shows them as still connected.

It might be interesting to log sessions and see what's going on.  Or
to strace live processes.  And of course ask the user what it looks
like from his/her end.

Joseph Brennan
Lead Email Systems Engineer