How to clean up after syncserver

Michael Glad glad at cs.au.dk
Mon Apr 13 15:29:11 EDT 2009

Cyrus being restarted / sync server abending, apparently causes it to
leave sub dirs in the 'sync.' dirs containing hard links  to messages.
They currently sum to 40k+ links on one of my replicas :-( .

I noticed them during an yet unsuccessful attempt to find out why
message body inconsistencies now and then occur
between master and replica.

The 40k+ entries annoy me and I have a uneasy feeling that they may be
involved in the creating the inconsistencies.
So is there a way to clean up the  sync. dirs --  can one just remove
the sub dirs / hard links while the sync server is down?

 -- Michael

The inconsistencies seem to arise when a user delete a message, thereby
copying it to a trash folder.
Now and then, this action on the replica nukes a message file owned by
another user on the same cyrus partition, so
that the trash file and the two user mailbox files are now hardlinked
together.

Environment: 2.3.14 + FM patches as of 2009-03-31 on RHEL 5.3/x86_64.
Single instance store + fast rename + delayed delete + delayed expunge