Cyrus on 64-bit RHEL 5

John Widera jwidera at oakton.edu
Fri Apr 10 14:35:03 EDT 2009

We are in the planning stage of a major mail systems upgrade.  We've been
running Cyrus on 32-bit RHEL 5 for some time now.  We are considering 2
major changes that could impact administration and performance.

1) we're considering running Cyrus under VMware ESX Server.  We have one
Cyrus installion with about 2000 users, half of them very active users,
with a TOTAL spool size of of about 250GB, and another installion which
has more users but is under MUCH less load, and a TOTAL spool size of
~50GB.

2) we're also strongly considering running a 64-bit OS version of RHEL 5
to take advantage of the increased FS buffer caching.  Esp. in the busier
installation we suspect this will further improve performance (we're not
unhappy with current performance, but we foresee significant increase in
usage over time).

Can anyone share with us their production experience with running Cyrus in
a virtual (ESX?) env., and/or experience with running Cyrus (Simon
Matter's RPMs, optimally) in a 64-bit Linux OS?

We'd really appreciate hearing from people before we go much further in
the planning stage.  Thanks.

John Widera
jwidera #at# oakton #dot# edu