Pause while selecting INBOX

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 27 19:42:27 EDT 2008

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 13:46:39 +1000, "Rob Mueller" <robm at fastmail.fm> said:
> Some things to try if you haven't:
>
> 1. Make sure you have noatime (and nodiratime if applicable) set on your
> FS
> 2. If on linux, use the deadline IO scheduler
> 3. If you can, split your data and meta data onto separate volumes
> (probably
> a lot of work)
> 4. Install more RAM and use a 64-bit OS. x64_64 linux can cache many,
> many
> more inodes and dentries in memory than x86 linux.
> 5. Upgrade to the latest cyrus and enable the status cache

6. Don't fetch every single file from your cyrus server every backup run.

One nice property of cyrus's on-disk format is that all the data files
are immutable once created: b/user/brong/798. is always going to be the
same file, no matter what happens to the mailbox.  Only the cyrus.*
files and new data file actually need to be fetched.

(our system also stats the cyrus.* files, and uses some other funky tricks
to ensure consistent backups with minimum IO)
--
  Bron Gondwana
  brong at fastmail.fm