suggestion need to design an email system.

J. Bakshi joydeep at infoservices.in
Tue Sep 16 07:32:54 EDT 2008

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> I have a running email system which I made in 2006 based on
>> postfix+cyrus+openldap. The authentication is based on openldap.
>> I have done some reading through net and find a new mail server dovecot.
>> I have to create another email system for multidomain based hosting
>> server where both scalability as well as performance should be in prime
>> consideration. I need your kind suggestion for this. shall I use dovecot
>> or cyrus can fit my requirement ?
>>

> I don't know why anyone would use a server other than Cyrus;  Cyrus'
> scalability is very well known, configuration is simple, performance is
> awesome, and the depth of features is unique among Open Source servers.
>

>> another important questing ; Is there
>> any webinterface which can manage the mail system based on LDAP ?
>>

> No idea since I don't understand what "manage the mail system" means.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your kind response.
I am looking an webinterface  like gui-cyradm or any other which can
allow the admin to create/delete account and domain from a web
interface. The problem is I have not found anything which can work based
on openldap. Even gui-cyradm need mysql for user authentication.
Could you kindly suggest anything ?
thanks
>> There are many with MySql but any application which can work with
>> postfix+cyrus+openldap ?
>>

> Sure, if you want to do anything with MySQL there are usually hundreds
> of poorly maintained solutions.   If scale is an issue I'd stuck with
> OpenLDAP, *nothing* is faster than OpenLDAP, and Symas has the
> benchmarks to prove it.
>
> ----

Joydeep Bakshi, Linux System Admin
Kolkatainfoservices Pvt Ltd,