troubles with cyradm

brian ally bally.zijn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 01:29:56 EDT 2008

Fedora 8
# rpm -qa | grep cyrus
cyrus-sasl-lib-2.1.22-8.fc8
cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.22-8.fc8
cyrus-imapd-utils-2.3.11-1.fc8
cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.22-8.fc8
cyrus-sasl-2.1.22-8.fc8
cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.22-8.fc8
cyrus-imapd-perl-2.3.11-1.fc8
cyrus-imapd-2.3.11-1.fc8

# cat /etc/imapd.conf
configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb2
sasldb_path: /etc/sasldb2
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
tls_cert_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /etc/pki/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_ca_file: /etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt

# cat /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
pwcheck_method: auxprop
mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5

I'm going around in circles here trying to figure out how to authenticate
with cyradm. I'd like to use sasldb and so have created an entry there for
the cyrus user. And I've disabled saslauthd. Whatever I've tried so far has
failed. And, frankly, I'm very confused about how this is supposed to work.
For instance, some info I've found online tells me to create an entry in
/etc/paswd for the cyrus user, while other sources don't mention that.

So, for the following, PASS1 is what i have in /etc/passwd and PASS2 was
given to saslpasswd2 -c cyrus

-- snip --
# cyradm --user=cyrus --server=localhost --auth=plain
verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
Password: PASS1
IMAP Password: PASS2
              Login failed: authentication failure at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm
line 119
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with plain as cyrus
-- snip --

/var/log/messages says:
perl: No worthy mechs found

>From what I understand google is telling me, the "verify error" line can be
ignored for now. If not, stop me now.

I try LOGIN:

-- snip --
# cyradm --user=cyrus --server=localhost --auth=login
verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
IMAP Password: PASS2
              Login failed: authentication failure at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm
line 119
cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with login as cyrus
-- snip --

This time, there's no entry in /var/log/messages

I came across this while searching and thought I'd give it a try:

cyradm --user=cyrus --tls localhost
cyradm>

This time, no password prompt (contrary to the example I saw) and I appear
to be in. However, if I try any commands it complains that there's no
connection:

cyradm> cm user.USER at MYDOMAIN
createmailbox: no connection to server

Long story short: how the heck should I be connecting to cyradm if I'm using
sasldb2? What's this, "No worthy mechs " about? Is there yet another config
file to adjust?

Sorry for the long post. I've scrolled through so many things online but
most of the examples are just a little bit different from my setup (eg.
LDAP, MySQL, etc.) and so wanted to try to spell it out as clearly as
possible.

Of course, if I've left out any crucial information ...