murder setup - mailboxes.db corruption - trouble recovering with ctl_mboxlist

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Mon Nov 24 11:36:53 EST 2008

> I just wanted to follow up on this thread, rather than leaving it hanging.
>
> It seems there was a more serious issue, which ultimately lead to the
> failure we experienced, with our murder setup.  Specifically our
> internal DNS servers, were having sporadic time-outs for Linux and
> Macintosh clients.  After disabling ipv6 on both of our nameservers, it
> seemed the name resolution issue cleared up.  The strange thing is that
> it has been working without any complications for the last 6 months.
> But nobody at Marshall can pinpoint anything that may have changed
> recently with regards to ipv6 networking on the internal network.  What
> is even stranger is that the name resolution timeouts only seemed to
> occur on Linux and Macintosh clients, while having no harmful effects on
> Microsoft Windows servers and clients.

I had a strange issue recently with name resolution (OT because it has
nothing todo with cyrus-imapd).
Resolvers on Linux and recent OSX seem to always try to query for IPv6
(AAAA) records even if NO IPv6 is configured on the client (no, I think it
only happens if the client program tries to resolve IPv6 like firefox in
our case). The problem starts if the DNS servers in question don't reply
correctly to those requests and reply with SERVFAIL for example. The
resolver will then ask the next DNS server it find in resolv.conf and go
on until no more servers to ask, which can take quite some time if you
have 4 servers configured like in our case.
In the end it turned out the company in question were running DNS
loadbalancers and they simply replied with SERVFAIL for AAAA records. I've
been told customers with Windows don't have that problem and I guess it's
because their resolver doesn't ask for IPv6 adresses if no IPv6 is
configured.

Simon