signaled to death by 7

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Mon Nov 17 14:23:47 EST 2008

On 17 Nov 2008, at 14:14, Joshua Kordani wrote:
> An imap process keeps kicking out when a particular user tries to
> access
> his mail.
>
> mail log reports this:
> master[8762]: process 26353 exited, signaled to death by 7
>
> The process in question is the imap process that is handling the
> particular user's connection.
>
> When I use telnet to access this user's mail, the server terminates
> the
> connection as soon as i make a select mailboxname request.  I can list
> them just fine.  It happens to all mailboxes this user owns.  I've
> restarted the cyrus master process.  I've turned up logging on the
> mail
> facility all the way up, and the only thing that is reported is
> that the
> connection terminates, and that the process is signaled to death by 7.
> It only happens with this user, and i've even run a reconstruct.
> Where
> should I look next?

Attach gdb (or whatever) to the process after authN, before select.
I'd guess the mailbox needs to be reconstructed, for whatever reason.

> (as an aside, in my efforts to disable the imaps service which we were
> not using, but was filling up logs, i managed to turn off the pop3
> service and I can't get it back on... I only commented out the imaps
> entry in /etc/cyrus.conf and sighupped cyrus master, so I don't
> know...)

I've seen that in older versions (what version are you running?), but
haven't been able to reproduce it in recent versions.  The problem,
generally speaking, is that master runs as cyrus, so it's can't open
new low-numbered ports. The bug is that it thinks pop3 is a new.

:wes