lmtp problem - end of file reached

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu May 22 13:10:52 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have a set of cyrus servers, and a cluster of smtp servers with perdition
IMAP proxy servers sitting in front.

I'm creating a new front end, which will replace the perdition proxies with
a cyrus murder, so that we can share mailboxes across servers.

I'd like to include cyrus lmtpproxyd, so that my smtp servers can take
advantage of the murder, instead of having to work out which back end to
deliver to. Currently, they're using an LDAP server to discover the correct
backend server. Instead, I want to deliver locally, via a UNIX domain
socket.

The problem is that I can't get my front end to connect with lmtp through
murder.

The problem isn't connectivity, since I can use lmtptest to connect
directly to the backend, and actually deliver a message. And, I can
actually get a log from the server.

However, when I deliver to the local lmtp proxy, it does this:

    snow-170 % nc -vU /opt/local/etc/cyrus/socket/lmtpproxy
    220 snow.uscs.susx.ac.uk LMTP Cyrus v2.3.8 ready
    mail from:<>
    250 2.1.0 ok
    rcpt to:<ianasdflkjds at sussex.ac.uk>
    550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
    550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
    550 5.1.1 User unknown
    rcpt to:<iane at sussex.ac.uk>
    250 2.1.5 ok
    data
    354 go ahead
    Subject: foo

    .
    451 4.4.3 Remote server unavailable

Failure to handle an unknown recipient indicates that the mailbox has been
found through the murder. And, the "server unavailable" message is false,
because the server has actually logged part of the proxy to server
conversation, thus:

    >1211466931>220 mailstore1.uscs.susx.ac.uk LMTP Cyrus v2.3.8 ready
    <1211466931<LHLO murder
    >1211466931>250-mailstore1.uscs.susx.ac.uk
    250-8BITMIME
    250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    250-PIPELINING
    250-SIZE 52428800
    250-AUTH EXTERNAL
    250 IGNOREQUOTA
    >1211466931>421 4.4.1 bye end of file reached

What's more, I've seen that same conversation with tcpdump on both the
proxy and the server hosts.

Am I right in thinking that this happened because the lmtp proxy gave up?
Or, has the server encountered some local end of file?

LMTPTEST tells me a little more:

    snow-241 % lmtptest mailstore1.uscs.sussex.ac.uk lmtp
    S: 220 mailstore1.uscs.susx.ac.uk LMTP Cyrus v2.3.8 ready
    C: LHLO example.com
    S: 250-mailstore1.uscs.susx.ac.uk
    S: 250-8BITMIME
    S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
    S: 250-PIPELINING
    S: 250-SIZE 52428800
    S: 250-AUTH EXTERNAL
    S: 250 IGNOREQUOTA
    Authentication failed. no mechanism available
    Security strength factor: 0

Here, I'm beginning to suspect that the client is giving up because it
can't authenticate. The  server is started using "-a" which means that
we're pre-authenticated. I suspect that disabling pre-authentication might
fix my problem, but will prevent the existing smtp/lmtp cluster from
delivering email! In this case, I can press ahead and actually deliver the
email.

    lhlo iane
    250-mailstore1.uscs.susx.ac.uk
    250-8BITMIME