Cyrus POP access restritcion to users

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue May 20 22:59:46 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 08:57:14PM +0530, Ashay Chitnis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know if we can restrict some users to access POP and allow some
> users to access POP. I do not want to have firewall based restriction.  I am
> using cyrus-imapd-2.3.7-4. The same users should be allowed through Webmail
> without any issue. The users are LDAP users.  Can anyone help me on this?

We do exactly this at FastMail, but we use a different approach.  All
user connections are via an nginx proxy, and the authentication daemon
used by nginx will return an error if the user tries to log in via POP.
It will also send them an email explaining the policy and offering them
an option to upgrade to an account level that does support POP...

Bron.