Cyrus questions, lost emails, reconstruct

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Fri May 16 02:53:52 EDT 2008

>> I am on a mac os x server 10.3.9
>>
>> not sure how to find the cyrus version, naive i
>> know...
>
> I dont know anything to os x packaging
>

>> the -i is from one of apples documents on how to
>> reconstruct the entire database for cyrus.  the -r
> is
>> for a single user, knowing now that it is broken
> makes
>> a lot of sense with the problems i am having
>> reconstructing.
>
> -r is for "recursive" (on usual cyrus install)
>

>> latest system changes was the installation of
>> spamassassin with procmail for the relay.  This i
>> believe this caused my initial problem with the
>> disappearing emails.  Not to concerned about that
>> right now, though i will be very happy to receive
>> suggestions on that.
>
> cyrus users use SIEVE instead of procmail.
> Of course sieve is not as flexible as procmail, but a
> lot lot
> faster, more secure, and part of cyrus
>
> Read this, to be sure your procmail configuration is
> compatible with
>  cyrus
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/chapter/ch09.html
>
> Is your mail store on a networked disk ?
>

>> Main problem is to get reconstruct working, I will
>> deal with the disappearing emails later on, need to
>> get them back now and be able to get them back
>> reliably in the future until i fix the core problem
>> with the disappearing emails.
>>
>> updated info that i found:
>>
>> when i take a look at the mailbox.db for the user
> that
>> has a corrupted in box i get this....
>>
>> myserver2:/var/imap user# sudo -u cyrus
>> /usr/bin/cyrus/bin/ctl_mboxlist -d | grep brokenuser
>> user.brokenuser   default BROKENUSER
> lrswipcda
>> user.brokenuser.INBOX^Drafts      default brokenuser
>>     lrswipcda
>> user.brokenuser.INBOX^Sent        default brokenuser
>>     lrswipcda
>> user.brokenuser.INBOX^Trash       default brokenuser
>>     lrswipcda
>>
>> as you can see the inbox has the user in all caps,
>> makes sense now why they can't get into there inbox,
>> believe this is case sensitive, so now how do i
> change
>> this back to lowercase and or which reconstruct
>> command (i know -r is broken) will work.  I don't
> mind
>> the broken construct if i can edit the mailbox.db
>> successfully to fix the one issue with the caps.
> can
>> always do up a script.
>
> use cyradm to change ACL, using "sam" command
>

>> i've checked other users, all of there info is in
>> lowercase....
>

> First off let me thank all of you for your help so
> far.
>
> To answer the above questions:
>
> My mail store is on a fiber channel RAID
> Procmail looks to be set up properly, i will look into
> this further
> [...]

Are you using autocreate inbox? I don't know much about your config but
that kind of problems usually comes when you let your users login with all
caps usernames and you have an authentication method which is not case
sensitive on the username side (like LDAP). Then your users can
successfully login using all CAPS, but that means they don't get their
true mailbox but a new empty one. Check the username_tolower setting in
imapd.conf. But, you simply should not let your users login with
squirrelmail with uppercase because the username may be lowered by cyrus
but squirrelmail creates new preferences for the uppercase user. I made my
own PAM module which denies all upper case usernames (we wanted all
lowercase). http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/pam_deny_uc/

Simon