Migration issues

DESCOMBES Thierry descombes at sb-roscoff.fr
Sat May 3 16:18:57 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'm the system administrator of a french research unit (CNRS), and we
are using cyrus and postfix, on a server, for 2 years now, without
troubles.

Now, we have bought a DAS (Direct Attached Storage) attached to a
dedicated server (with tape backup system...)  and we'd like to use the
DAS to store mailboxes.

My idea was to uninstall the IMAP service on our old mailserver, change
its postfix configuration to SMTP relay mails to the new server
(attached to the DAS), and install new versions of postfix and cyrus on
the new server (where the DAS filesystem are mounted locally). Do you
think this is the best way to do that ? (I have already tested
unsuccesfully, exporting files (with NFS) or partition (with
open-iSCSI)... but in case of crash, it seems that data integrity is
often broken)

I have tried to configure this setup. On the old server, we are using
cyrus 2.2.12 (on Linux), and in the new one, I have installed cyrus
2.3.8 (on Linux). So, I have tried to follow the "Upgrading from 2.2.x
or earlier" part of cyrus documentation. I have copied the spool
directory (rsync of the /var/spool/imap directory), and the db directory
(a tar of /var/lib/imap after a cyrus shutdown) from the old server to
the new one, created a metapartition directory, launched
"tools/migrate-metadata" script... but now, when I start cyrus , it
freezes and writes messages in system log files:

kernel: ctl_cyrusdb[26239]: segfault at 00002b7e51a60efc rip
00002b5652b30f96 rsp 00007fff59062d60 error 4

cyrus-master[26233]: process 26239 exited, signaled to death by 11

What's wrong ? The new server is running a 64 bits linux distribution
(the old a 32 bits). Should I try with a version of cyrus build for
32bits architecture ?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Cheers,

--