Sieve forwarding loop destroys e-mail

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Mon Mar 31 18:51:17 EDT 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 04:21:20PM +0200, Alain Spineux wrote:

>>>  A mail delivery system that loses mail is buggy.  I don't need to look
>>>  at the code to know that.
>>>
>>>  You can tell me no one has time to fix it, and in an open source project
>>>  I can respect that.  But it is a bug.
>>
>> Look at this:
>>
>> If my script is
>>
>> redirect another.address at somewhere.else
>>
>> I expect my mailbox to stay empty, because this is what redirect is
>> supposed to do!
>> If I found and email in my mailbox this is a BUG, because the script I wrote
>> should never let an email come in!
>
> I know, I know - pick me.  How about this one?
>
> discard;
>

> It turns out that a mail delivery system that has been configured in a
> way that loses mail has a bug _in_the_person_who_configured_it_.  Now
> it may be that the language makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot,
> but that's different from being buggy.

Just for reference - we provide a web interface (custom, we wrote it) that
provides the features most people want to configure in their sieve rules
such as email forwarding, filtering based on From/To address, vacation
messages, and spam blocking.  Of course, they have no idea it is actually
sieve behind the scenes.  They just point and click the web interface.

This web interface has sanity checks to prevent people from doing silly
things like forwarding mail to themselves or the other common email
aliases on their accounts.

We also offer direct sieveshell access for users that ask if they can do
more than the web interface offers.  If these "smart" users shoot
themselves in the foot, oh well.

 	Andy