Sieve forwarding loop destroys e-mail

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 10:21:20 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu> wrote:

>  Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
>
>  >  I would ask that you spend some time determining how the
>  > program could determine it is a bad rule, and provide a patch to fix this
>  > behavior.  (in short -- it's harder than you think)
>
>  A mail delivery system that loses mail is buggy.  I don't need to look
>  at the code to know that.
>
>  You can tell me no one has time to fix it, and in an open source project
>  I can respect that.  But it is a bug.

Look at this:

If my script is

redirect another.address at somewhere.else

I expect my mailbox to stay empty, because this is what redirect is
supposed to do!
If I found and email in my mailbox this is a BUG, because the script I wrote
should never let an email come in!

What you want is a "smart_redirect" command ! Write a new RFC to
extend SIEVE, then
write a patch for cyrus.

>  >  > or back to sender (grounds: not deliverable as configured).
>  >
>  > Only if you want to become a source for backscatter.
>
>  Losing mail is much worse than backscatter.  With bounces limited to
>  people who get a forward loop going, bounces are not a big issue.
>

>  Gary Mills <mills at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
>

> >  Of course,
>  > it's impossible to distinguish between a forwarding loop and a real
>  > duplicate unless another `Received' header is added to the message
>  > header.
>
>  Hm.  What if duplicate suppression is turned off?  Infinite loop?
>
>  Hop count is the classic MTA method of detection, but here the very
>  first time around the loop will hit dup suppression.  This calls for
>  something else that lets the system know the message already passed
>  through a local sieve script.
>

>  Joseph Brennan
>  Columbia University Information Technology
>

>  ----

>  Cyrus Wiki/FAQ: http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/twiki

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com