Sieve forwarding loop destroys e-mail

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 08:04:29 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Gary Mills <mills at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 02:27:29PM +0100, Alain Spineux wrote:
>  > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Gary Mills <mills at cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:
>  > > Once again, we had somebody use the sieve facility to redirect e-mail
>  > >  back to the same mailbox and then go on vacation.  This sets up a
>  > >  forwarding loop which cyrus breaks by discarding the e-mail.  During
>  > >  this vacation, all of the person's e-mail disappeared.
>  >
>  > If you force a "keep" in your sieve script, the mail will be delivered
>  > at least once in
>  > the mailbox
>
>  It's perfectly valid to have nothing but a `forward' in a sieve
>  script.  People do this all the time when they don't want to keep
>  a copy for themselves.  Unfortunately, some also forward e-mail to
>  themselves, expecting that to work.

sieve script is only a language.
The language nor its interpreter nor its compiler dont need to be smart, because
the script writer is supposed to be smart enough.

If the user in unable to write such script, it must use a "sieve
script manager", (application
written by a smarter developer) that will help him generating well
suited script.

"redirect" is a sieve command that forward an email to another address.
"redirect_and_keep" is not a valid sieve command, but you can write
such an extension.

Regards.

--
Alain Spineux