error when applying UoA patches to cyrus-imapd 2.3.11

Aristotelis arisg at noc.uoa.gr
Sun Mar 30 10:42:43 EDT 2008

David Newman wrote:
> Greetings. I'm building a 2.3.11 server from ports on FreeBSD 7.0/i386.
> I'm also using these two University of Athens patches:
>
> http://email.uoa.gr/download/cyrus/cyrus-imapd-2.3.11/cyrus-imapd-2.3.11-autocreate-0.10-0.diff
>
> http://email.uoa.gr/download/cyrus/cyrus-imapd-2.3.11/cyrus-imapd-2.3.11-autosieve-0.6.0.diff
>
> The following steps produced the error output pasted below. Thanks in
> advance for any help in understanding what's wrong.
>
> cd /usr/ports/mail/cyrus-imapd23/
> make patch
> cd work/cyrus-imapd-2.3.11/
> patch -p1 < ~/cyrus-imapd-2.3.11-autocreate-0.10-0.diff
> patch -p1 < ~/cyrus-imapd-2.3.11-autosieve-0.6.0.diff
> cd ../..
> make
>
> <snip>

  Hello,
thanks for using our patch.

  This is a bit of a known issue. The FreeBSD ports system changes the
Makefiles for their own build system, and the autocreate patch has to
change the makefiles since the sieve libraries are needed also in other
places (because of the autocreate functionality).  If you follow the
normal patch procedure and you add the autocreate patch in the patches
that are in the ports build system, then the autocreate patch will not
be applied successfully since there will be conflicts in the makefiles
again.  (The rules apply also to autosieve if i remember correctly).

  Unfortunately i don't have a freeBSD system at hand to see the changed
that are needed (which are not backward compatible with the vanilla
cyrus distribution), and it is quite hard for us to produce different
patches for different operating systems. (that's why we have all the uoa
patches against the vanilla cyrus distribution).

    Best regards,
    Aristotelis