sieve authentication issue (SASL)

Phil Haigh phil at mercury1.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 10:51:26 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have a frustrating issue authenticating with sieveshell. This was all
working until yesterday, where an apt-get upgrade on the machine changed a
couple of things - amoung them, I think, the sasl libraries and some perl
stuff.

I can still successfully connect to imap using cyradm, and all users can
happily use imap and pop services on the server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! J

I can telnet localhost 2000 and see:

pluto:/var/log# telnet localhost 2000

Trying 127.0.0.1...

Connected to localhost.

Escape character is '^]'.

"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.3.11"

"SASL" "LOGIN PLAIN"

"SIEVE" "comparator-i;ascii-numeric fileinto reject vacation imapflags
notify envelope relational regex subaddress copy"

OK

Attempting to log in using sieveshell -u phil -u phil locahost gives this
message:

sieve[25752]: badlogin: localhost[127.0.0.1] LOGIN generic failure

I am using saslauthd started like this:

                /usr/local/sbin/saslauthd -a shadow

My cyrus.conf

                sieve         cmd="timsieved -C /etc/imapdlocal.conf"
listen="127.0.0.1:sieve" prefork=0

My imapdlocal.conf

                postmaster: postmaster

configdirectory: /var/imap

partition-default: /var/spool/imap

admins: cyrus

allowanonymouslogin: yes

allowplaintext: yes

sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN

servername: mail.mercury1.co.uk

autocreatequota: 10000

reject8bit: no

quotawarn: 90

timeout: 30

poptimeout: 10

allowapop: 0

dracinterval: 0

drachost: localhost

sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd

sievedir: /usr/sieve

sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail

sieve_maxscriptsize: 32

sieve_maxscripts: 5

#unixhierarchysep: yes

Testsaslauthd returns ok:

pluto:/var/log# testsaslauthd -u phil -p password sieve localhost

0: OK "Success."

Cheers

phil