IMAPD "Authentication failed. generic failure"

J.J. Day day1234 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 01:57:26 EDT 2008

> From: day1234 at hotmail.com
> To: wes at umich.edu; list at joreybump.com; info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
> Subject: RE: IMAPD "Authentication failed. generic failure"
> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:44:36 +0000

>> First failure:
>>
>> On 17 Mar 2008, at 17:18, J.J. Day wrote:
>>> C: A01 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
>>> S: A01 NO no mechanism available
>>
>>> Mar 17 14:34:11 dc-mail imaps[5423]: badlogin: dc-mail.training.int
>>> [192.168.251.3] PLAIN [SASL(-4): no mechanism available: Couldn't
>>> find mech PLAIN]
>>
>> PLAIN authN wasn't an option.  Presumably you get this error because
>> you haven't allowed plain text authN and aren't using TLS.
>>
>> Second failure:
>>
>>> C: S01 STARTTLS
>>> S: S01 OK Begin TLS negotiation now
>>> C: C01 CAPABILITY
>>> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ ID ACL RIGHTS=kxte QUOTA
>>> MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT
>>> CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT SORT=MODSEQ THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
>>> THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE CATENATE CONDSTORE IDLE URLAUTH
>>> S: C01 OK Completed
>>> Please enter your password:
>>> C: L01 LOGIN cyrus {5}
>>> S: + go ahead
>>> C:
>>> S: L01 NO Login failed: authentication failure
>>
>>> Mar 17 14:44:45 dc-mail imap[5444]: badlogin: localhost [127.0.0.1]
>>> plaintext cyrus SASL(-13): user not found: checkpass failed
>>

>> This implies that you typed the password wrong, which is always
>> possible :)  I'd probably examine your SASL auxprop configs, tho,
>> since imap complains that it can't find your auxprop plugin.
>>

> Okay!!
> The permissions on the symlnk from /usr/lib/sasl2 -> /usr/local/lib/sasl2 were 700. Changed to 755 and now get a more reasonable capabilities list:
>

>> :wes
>>
>> ps I think servername: ought to be something in DNS, i.e., "D-Y-C
>> Mail Server" is a poor choice.
>
> Isn't this just a descriptive clause for user identification?

Apparently not.  The man page says:
       servername:
            This is the hostname visible in the greeting messages of the  POP,
            IMAP  and  LMTP  daemons. If it is unset, then the result returned
            from gethostname(2) is used.
But commenting out the entry so the default is used made everything work.

Thankyou both for the help.

JJ