SASL/sieve authentication issue

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Mon Mar 10 23:50:17 EDT 2008

I'm having a problem with authentication.  I can get/read/send mail fine
through Cyrus, Sendmail.  But when I try to authenticate to sieve, it's
failing.  This started happening after updating Cyrus on FreeBSD-7.0,
where I currently have:

cyrus-imapd-2.3.11
cyrus-sasl-2.1.22
cyrus-sasl-saslauthd-2.1.22

I have SASL using the sasldb, that all seems to work.   But I can't
authenticate via "imtest" at all.  And the results below "might" be a
clue as to what's wrong, and I hope someone can point it out - it's
probably obvious and I'm just overlooking it.

I'm using Smartsieve to manage my scripts, and this is where I first
noticed the problem.  I've tried every mech that is enabled with imtest,
and no luck.

That I can get my mail via IMAP (over SSL) and not get imtest to work is
strange.

Thanks in advance....

# sivtest -m plain -u forrie -a forrie
WARNING: no hostname supplied, assuming localhost
[root at mail /usr/home/forrie/spam]# sivtest -m plain -u forrie -a forrie
localhost
S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.3.11"
S: "SASL" "DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5"
S: "SIEVE" "comparator-i;ascii-numeric fileinto reject vacation
imapflags notify envelope relational regex subaddress copy"
S: "STARTTLS"
S: OK
Please enter your password:
C: AUTHENTICATE "PLAIN" {32+}
Zm9blahblahblhadjfdklfblahblah=
S: NO "Authentication Error"
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0

# sivtest -t "" -m plain -u forrie -a forrie localhost
S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.3.11"
S: "SASL" "DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5"
S: "SIEVE" "comparator-i;ascii-numeric fileinto reject vacation
imapflags notify envelope relational regex subaddress copy"
S: "STARTTLS"
S: OK
C: STARTTLS
S: OK "Begin TLS negotiation now"
verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
TLS connection established: TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
(256/256 bits)
S: "IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.3.11"
S: "SASL" "LOGIN PLAIN DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5"
S: "SIEVE" "comparator-i;ascii-numeric fileinto reject vacation
imapflags notify envelope relational regex subaddress copy"
S: OK
Please enter your password:
C: AUTHENTICATE "PLAIN" {32+}
Zblahblhdklfdslfksfblahblah=