delayed expunge/delete with replication?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 10 17:48:35 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 07:53:52AM -0700, David R Bosso wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a few questions about how delayed expunge works with replication
> in 2.3.11.
>
> 1.  If I want delayed expunge & delete on both the replica and master
> (replicated delayed expunge & delete), do I need them turned on in both
> master and replica imapd.conf, or is it sufficient that they be on in just
> the master?
>
> 2.  Is it sufficient to run cyr_expire (-D -X) the master - will it be
> replicated, or does it need to be run on the replica also?

Both on the replica as well.  The replication protocol doesn't know
about expunged messages at all.

This is a source of occasional frustration to me, because it means if
you do anything remotely funky (like a restore) on the master, then
the replica will have the same record in both the .index and .expunge
files and it all goes to pot.

But finding the time to rewrite the protocol to support both .index
and .expunge contents being streamed to the replica sounds an awful
lot like real work, so we haven't done anything about it.

Bron ( but if you're using delete-rename for folders, turn that off
       on the replica.  The replica will just get a "rename" event
       from the master and it's all good )