Mime Parsing

Judy Northrop asterope at cox.net
Thu Jun 26 08:06:40 EDT 2008

I wasn't sure if the malformed header was a result of the pdf file being
attached or a result of the filter.  I just disabled
MailScanner/SpamAssassin and that seems to have corrected things.  My
filter rule-set is updated with a cron, so I will have to debug that.
Thanks again.

Judy

Judy Northrop wrote:
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for helping.
>
> Yes I did truncate the message.  I just looked at the delivered message,
> it appears to be properly terminated.  Here is the complete header and i
> will include the ending terminator. Also, word documents (filename.doc)
> seem to work ok, to date I am only having problems with pdf files.

Well, at a glance my guess would be that the attachment is perfectly
fine, but no mail app can see it because the main message header is
malformed. For example, the main message header specifies a MIME version
but has no Content-Type header. Then after the header separator there is
a MIME boundary string that hasn't even been declared. From my
recollection, this is a violation of the MIME RFCs. There is one header
in there that is rather informative:

score=4.168,
        required 4, MISSING_HB_SEP 2.50, MISSING_HEADERS 0.19,
        MISSING_SUBJECT 1.34, TO_CC_NONE 0.13)

So it would seem that the spam check service found problems with the
message as well. The MISSING_HB_SEP is particularly disturbing. If I had
to guess what was going on I would say there is a poorly written client
or script sending these, or some filtering layer is altering the message
content due to bugs or bad choice of rules.

Peter