Seen database issue

Shelley Waltz shwaltz at cabm.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 18 10:37:17 EDT 2008

Rob Mueller said:

>> Moving the /var/spool/imap directories, and /var/lib/user/{}.seen
>> files to the new server and reconstructing works fine except that all
>> the
>> mail shows up as "not read" on the new sever.
>
> The seen state is keyed on the mailbox "uniqueid", so if that changes, the
> seen state becomes invalid.
>
> The mailbox uniqueid is based on the mailbox name + the uidvalidity value,
> which is itself based on the time the mailbox is created, or recreated due
> to a reconstruct.
>
> Now I thought reconstruct should preserve the mailbox uniqueid in most
> cases, but it's possible it's not if you're not copying all the data
> correctly.
>
> 1. Why are you reconstructing the mailboxes. If you copy all the right
> data,
> it should be fine without a reconstruct
> 2. How are you copying the data? Recommend using rsync -az which will
> preserve all the attributes + timestamps
> 3. Are you using split data/meta data? If so, are you copying the metadata
> as well?
> 4. What flags are you passing to reconstruct?

OK, thanks for the good information.  I was using tar and scp to copy the
/var/spool/imap/letter/user/username and
/var/lib/imap/user/letter/username.seen from the old server to the new.

I shutdown cyrus-imapd on the new server and used rsync -av to copy both
the above and started cyrus-imapd and there were no messages regarding
reconstruction of seen and the information was preserved.  The messages
now appear with the correct seen state.

thanks much for everyone's help! S