Problems with load balancing cluster on GFS

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Fri Jun 6 10:20:27 EDT 2008

Jens Hoffrichter wrote, at 06/06/2008 09:46 AM:

> But it doesn't seem to be related to entropy. Though on one of the
> nodes entropy is usually quite low (between 100 and 300), it never
> drops below the 100 mark, and when running a load test, that node and
> another failed, and on the one failing was more than 3000 entropy
> available.
>
> To rule it out completely I started rngd on all the nodes, feeding
> from /dev/urandom (I know, not perfect, but better than nothing ;) ),
> but that didn't change anything. And I checked the compilation
> settings for my cyrus-sasl package, it already takes /dev/urandom as
> entropy source. So I think I can rule it out mostly....

Yeah, it shouldn't lock with urandom. You might want to play around with
poptimeout and popminpoll, to see if that has any effect on your load
balancing test. Is jakarta-jmeter distributing these logins among enough
different users to simulate real-world conditions? What do your
imap/debug logs say when the lockup occurs?

While I support POP3, I encourage all of my users to use IMAP, so I
don't have many problems with pop3d (except for brute force attacks,
which I solved by increasing sasl_minimum_layer, but that won't help you
here).