patches since 2.3.12-p2?

Ian G Batten ian.batten at uk.fujitsu.com
Mon Jul 21 07:17:14 EDT 2008

On 19 Jul 08, at 1313, Bron Gondwana wrote:

> Unfortunately, the cyrus database interface sort of sucks from
> a consistency perspective, it's dangerous to call any function
> that needs database access if you have a database transaction
> open

I understand some of the technical, philosophical and historical
reasons why this isn't the case, but every now and again I find myself
wishing that Cyrus had an SQL backend for the various databases
(perhaps not delivery, because losing it isn't the end of the world,
but certainly for mailboxes).

In our case, we have really big Oracle and Postgres systems that could
proably handle the load imposed by out mailsystem metadata as well as
our mailsystem copes with it itself via skiplist, but we would could
then manage those databases with the same tools we use for the
production systems (hot backups, replication, etc).

Losing the mailboxes database can spoil your whole day, and the
lengths we go to to keep it safe (snapshots of the filesystem, hourly
runs of ctl_mboxlist -d, etc, etc should really be necessary if it
were in a production SQL database.

In my copious spare time, I might take a pass at the cope and see how
hard it looks.

ian