cyrus-imap - High consumption of memory

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 11 03:55:05 EDT 2008

> I  have a problem with a high memory consumption using cyrus-imap 2.2 on
> FreeBSD 7.0.
> Each processes of imapd consume 30mb of ram ! I believe that this is not
> normal.
> Is there a way to adjust this?

This is probably fine.

cyrus mmap's lots of files, which often make the process look bigger that it
really is, because the OS will just page in data as required.

Also a number of the mmaped files are shared between process (eg skiplist
mailboxes.db), so if you have a 30M mailboxes.db, it'll make each process
look like it's at least 30M in size, but in reality, that 30M is shared
between all processes.

Rob