Sieve problems..

Phil Pennock info-cyrus-spodhuis at spodhuis.org
Thu Jan 17 03:22:47 EST 2008

On 2008-01-16 at 21:34 +0100, Anders Norrbring wrote:
> First, is there some documentation to find anywhere on how to write
> sieve scripts? I've only found small fragments here and there..
> (www.cyrusoft.com has expired..)

The good news is that you have good timing -- the IETF has just
published the updates for all but one of the existing Sieve RFCs.

  RFC 5228 Sieve: An Email Filtering Language
  RFC 5229 Sieve Email Filtering: Variables Extension
  RFC 5230 Sieve Email Filtering: Vacation Extension
  RFC 5231 Sieve Email Filtering: Relational Extension
  RFC 5232 Sieve Email Filtering: Imap4flags Extension
  RFC 5233 Sieve Email Filtering: Subaddress Extension
  RFC 5235 Sieve Email Filtering: Spamtest and Virustest Extensions
  RFC 3894 Sieve Extension: Copying Without Side Effects

Pay particular attention to the capabilities which your version of Cyrus
advertises so that you don't use a "require" feature which isn't
supported.

You probably have a local RFC mirror somewhere network-near; or just go
to <URL:http://www.rfc-editor.org/>.

> Then on to my current problem, I'm trying to create a script that will
> send a reply to all incoming mail from a specific address span
> (*@domain.com) to an e-mail address.
>
> So far, I haven't managed to succeed in this. Advice please?

Bad news: I'm not aware of any auto-reply system which Sieve supports
other than vacation responses, which have things like minimum times
between responses (minimum of once a day).

You're probably better off doing this by having the MTA route the email
address to something other than Cyrus, or sending a duplicate copy to an
address other than Cyrus, or using any auto-reply functionality in the
MTA.

-Phil