quota corruption

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Fri Jan 4 13:21:25 EST 2008

> Hi again,
>
> I think I am very close to find the main reason of my weird mailbox
> problems. Today I tried to setup a corrupted mail account as a pop3
> account
> and the client gave me 'Unable to lock maildrop'. I googled this error and
> found a reply on a mailing list which says this can be because of TCP
> timeout. When I saw this reply I remembered that I have changed our
> firewall
> apliance which had a static route rule to route the packages for the mail
> servers public IP address to another firewall apliance which has my mail
> server on its DMZ. I removed the old firewall apliance and installed a new
> one(which is netscreen), created the same static route rule and that day
> these weird problems started to came from the users. I guess there is a
> problem with the netscreens static routing because even if I request ssh
> the public IP of the mail server, session drops suddenly if I keep the ssh
> client idle for a few seconds.
>
> If anyone has an idea it will be appreciated.

While I'm usually runnning Linux firewall, I once had the pleasure with
Netscreen. They do some kind of DOS protection which may make it unusable
to run servers behind. You have to remove those rules to make things work
as expected. I don't remember in detail what was needed on the Netscreen,
but you may find out yourself.
At least I agree with you that you may have found the root of your problems.

Simon