Dual & Quad Core processors

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 29 21:34:41 EST 2008

  Does Cyrus-imapd take advantage of Dual and\or Quad core processors? We are looking at upgrading our server to either 2x Dual core Xeon's or 1 x Quad core Xeon processor. Does Cyrus have the ability to take advantage of this?
Since it uses a multi-process model, yes it does.

However that's not what you should upgrade your servers for. cyrus uses very little CPU time on any modern processor. Even with 10,000's of users, our servers with 3 year old 2.4Ghz Netburst Xeons never get more than about 30% CPU usage (out of 400% because they're dual processor, hyper-threaded machines).

Instead cyrus is incredibly IO hungry. You should have as much RAM as possible for caching, and a battery backed NVRAM RAID controller to try and improve the random write IO that's generated. These will do much more for you than upgrading your CPU will.

Rob