Migrating from old PPC server to new AMD cyrus

Adam D emlists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 01:55:41 EST 2008

Adam D wrote:
> I have been looking at what tools to use to migrate all email and boxes
> over to our new server.  Old server is running cyrus 2.2.13.11 PPC and
> the new server is running cyrus 2.2.13.11 AMD64.
>
> So far I have been trying to use imapsync but it is giving me all or
> folder only transfers.  There are a lot of shared mailboxes but when I
> used the standard imapsync commands it copies all shared mailboxes into
> the user directory which we can not have.  I managed to use the
> --exclude parm but when I do it only creates the mailboxes on the
> destination.
>
> Here is a sample what I am doing:
> imapsync --syncacls --exclude 'shared1|shared2l' --host1 localhost
> --user1 user1 --passfile1 file1 --host2 host2 --user2 user2 --passfile2
> file2
>
> Are there cyrus commands to migrate the files over to another server?
> Am I going about this the right way?
>
> -Adam
> ----

I was able to migrate the databases over to the amd64 server except
.seen and subscription files, it took some work but I do not think it
was related to the platforms.  It was more so due to the mail box name
change.

old server:  user/andy
new server:  user/andy at domain.tld

*Zachariah Mully*
Thanks for the suggestion for reconstructing  that worked out just fine.

*Simon Matter
*Here is my db list:
ANNOTATION skiplist
DBENGINE BerkeleyDB4.3
DUPLICATE berkeley-nosync
MBOX skiplist
PTS berkeley
QUOTA quotalegacy
SEEN skiplist
SUBS flat
TLS berkeley-nosync

Sorry for not answering with a direct reply to both emails.  I have to
use the old server right before the move so I do not loose what emails I
have read from the old server.

How ever the one thing I am left with and I really, really, really can
not figure out why and where the new user.seen file is stored.

Both systems use Ubuntu 7.10 cyrus 2.2.13-11

Part of my imap.conf file contains this:

# Extras
allowusermoves: 1
defaultacl: anyone lrs
userprefix: user
servername:  host.domain.tld

# Hashing (mailbox storing)
fulldirhash: true
hashimapspool: false

createonpost: yes
autocreateinboxfolders:  Drafts|Sent|Templates

Since we do not have 30k+ mailboxes and makes managing easier for a
smaller company we liked the fulldirhash setup.  Our old server was set
up and we kept the new server the same.  Sieve, user seen and sub files
were not hashed the same way using upper case letters and user files
were not in logical places like... andy in 'I'.   So each user uses
user at domain.tld as their mailbox:

file system:
/var/spool/cyrus/mail/domain/domain1/user/andy

Main reasons for this.  One reason is because we have a shared mailbox
on the cyrus root directory and parts of the mailbox were broken into
pieces and scattered all over the alphabet thus made managing very
combersom esp when it came to restoring mailboxes for any reason.

cyrus:
user/andy at domain.tld

The funny or frustrating thing I found only deals with the seen and sub
files.  I copied the /var/lib/cyrus/users over from the old system onto
the new.  Cyrus did not even recognize the old .seen files.   In fact
when a test user andy tags the mail as read and then opens another
client on another system the mail shows as red but no where can the
.seen file be found on the server.  However the user.seen information is
saved but I can not find where.

This is the las step in the migration and I am so out of ideas and
seeking some extra help.

-Adam