Move to new server/Upgrade question

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Wed Feb 20 02:22:49 EST 2008

Lars Schimmer schreef:
> Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Hello,
>
>> I want to move all mail to a new server. Old server has Cyrus 2.1.18
>> (Debian Sarge), new server has Cyrus 2.2.13 (Debian Etch).
>
>> In the past, I just copied all files in
>> /var/spool/cyrus/
>> /var/lib/cyrus
>> But, is this a good way?
>
>> Alternative is imapcopy. But I see you need a list of all users and
>> passwords. That's a lot work to make (650 users). Isn't it possible to
>> use the admin-user to copy everything?
>
> Which reminds me of my wish to upgrade from sarge to etch.
> - From Cyrus 2.1.18 to Cyrus 2.2.13.

Etch has both 2.1.18 and 2.2.13, so you can upgrade to Etch before you
upgrade Cyrus to 2.2.13.

> AFAIK there was a db change involved, or?
> Has anyone done this with his server, any problems to expect?

I did it without real problems.

But I have seen that some (not all) clients are a lot slower when they
switch to another folder (Thunderbird client is used). I am not sure
what the reason is. It is not an authentication-issue because
testsaslauthd works fast.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--