Importing Mails without "to" header

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 05:18:30 EST 2008

--On 14 February 2008 11:12:02 -0500 Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu>
wrote:

>> Situation: an old user has a mail in his account, that was sent _only_ to
>> bcc:  People, so in "to:" you will only find "<undisclosed recipients>".
>
> Check what is really in the message.  Some mail programs display the
> null address in modified form.
>
> This is valid:         To: undisclosed recipients :;
> This is not:           To: <undisclosed recipients>

Would you believe, that Apple Mail (Apple's default mail client) creates
headers like this:

To: undisclosed recipients : <>;

This despite the fact that I reported the bug four years ago, and informed
them of the correct form. It was marked as a duplicate, so someone else
must have made the same bug report. And, they use cyrus mailstore in their
server product! To be fair, they have addressed the bug twice - but each
time they've made it worse. There was originally a work around (give the
group a name that is valid in headers), but then they broke that workaround.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex