Non-ASCII chars in MAIL FROM envelope

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed Feb 13 05:21:36 EST 2008

>> Yes, but that will block possibly valid mail. Of course I don't accept
>> mail with non-ASCII RCPT TO addresses because Cyrus doesn't allow it,
>> but
>> I should accept non-ASCII MAIL FROM addresses if they are valid. But
>> Cyrus
>> also refuses them. That's the real problem.
>
> Can you turn off the 8BITMIME extension that postfix advertises? It seems
> from the RFC (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4952), if 8BITMIME isn't

That seems to be the right logic but I can't find the proper way to do it
with postfix.

> advertised, then it's up to the sending side to downgrade the SMTP
> transaction to ASCII, and then you could block non-ASCII MAIL FROM
> addresses...

Anyway, I'm not sure about the whole 8BITMIME thing and whether it counts
for message content or envelope or both?
It it counts for both, why does Cyrus lmtp advertise 8BITMIME and then
refuses to accept mail with 8bit envelope.
I'm really confused and from looking at different list archives I see that
I'm not alone.

Simon