choosing a file system

Eric Luyten Eric.Luyten at vub.ac.be
Wed Dec 31 08:15:18 EST 2008

> -- Nik Conwell <nik at bu.edu> is rumored to have mumbled on 31. Dezember 2008
> 07:47:31 -0500 regarding Re: choosing a file system:
>
> > Just curious - how do stop people from accessing their mailboxes
> > during the time they are being renamed and moved to another partition?

I moved a few thousand mailboxes in a similar fashion (summer of 2007) and
encountered no problems. New message deliveries were nicely "frozen" by
Cyrus while the target Inbox was being renamed/moved.

Question : would it, stabilitywise, make a difference if the mail data and metadata
are split, allocating the metadata partitions on SAN-based LUNs and storing messages
in NAS (NFS) space ?

In other words : are the Cyrus-over-NFS inconveniences confined to the cyrus.* files ?

Rationale :
  NAS space can, typically, be "grown" more easily than SAN space.
  This could be an advantage to older server OSes en filesystems...

Eric Luyten, Brussels Free University Computing Centre (Cyrus 2.2, 58k users, 2.3 TB)