choosing a file system

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Dec 31 07:38:21 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-31 at 11:47 +0100, LALOT Dominique wrote:
> Thanks for everybody. That was an interesting thread. Nobody seems to
> use a NetApp appliance, may be due to NFS architecture problems.

Personally, I'd never use NFS for anything.  Over the years I've had way
to many NFS related problems on other things to ever want to try it
again.

> I believe I'll look to ext4 that seemed to be available in last
> kernel, and also to Solaris, but we are not enough to support another
> OS.

We've used Cyrus on XFS for almost a years, no problems.

In regards to ext3 I'd pay attention to the vintage of problem reports
and performance issues;  ext3 of several years ago is not the ext3 of
today, many improvements have been made.  "data=writeback" mode can help
performance quite a bit, as well as enabling "dir_index" if it isn't
already (did it ever become the default?).  The periodic fsck can also
be disabled via tune2fs.   I only point this out since, if you already
have any ext3 setup,  trying the above are all painless and might buy
you something.