Basic question

Jason Voorhees jvoorhees1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 12:56:02 EST 2008

Hi there:

I'm planning to use Cyrus IMAP and OpenLDAP to authenticate users.
Long time ago I used to configure Cyrus IMAP + Cyrus SASL using
saslauthd with pam module. It was something simple.

Then I used to configure Cyrus IMAP + Cyrus SASL using saslauthd with
ldap module and /etc/saslauthd.conf without problems. That's fine.

Now I would like to use Cyrus IMAP with OpenLDAP too, but I found that
there are at least 2 ways:

1. Use Cyrus SASL with auxprop to authenticate users trough LDAP using
auxprop_plugin: ldapdb, sasl_ldap_servers among other sasl_* directives.
Right?

2. The other way is to use ldap_* directives like ldap_uri, ldap_filter
among others. But I believe that I would need to use 'pts' module in
auth_mech directive, right?

The question is: What are pts, unix, krb and krb5 modules used for?
What's the difference between them? Should I use pts module to make
Cyrus talk directly to OpenLDAP...? Or should I use Cyrus SASL with
auxprop plugin to make the authentication to OpenLDAP?

Is there a place where I can get some clear information about these
items? Man pages are not too clear :S

Thanks people :)