choosing a file system

Vincent Fox vbfox at ucdavis.edu
Tue Dec 30 12:22:18 EST 2008

We run Solaris 10 on our Cyrus mail-store backends.
The mail is stored in a ZFS pool.  The ZFS pool are
composed of 4 SAN volumes in RAID-10.  The active
and failover server of each backend pair have "fiber multipath"
enabled so their dual connections to the SAN switch ensure
that if an HBA or SAN switch fails there is no downtime.

Once a month we run a scrub while the systems are online.
Never having to run fsck EVER AGAIN is a good thing.
The scrub is run during a weekend and not during a backup
window to be paranoid since it does keep the disks busy
for some hours but it never impacts performance.

Using ZFS also allows us easy & CHEAP snapshots.
We keep 14 days worth of snapshots in the pool and
that handles 99% of restore requests.  We run backups
to tape once a week from the most recent snapshot also.