question about logging

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Dec 18 15:32:43 EST 2008

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008, Mester wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Debian Etch server with Cyrus IMAPD (version). Is there a way
> to make logging verbose? I want to be able to find in the logfiles who
> has logged in to the IMAP server from which IP address and what did
> he/she do.
>
> I have to find out who and when has deleted some e-mails from the
> server, but I see nothing about Cyrus in the log files.

Cyrus IMAPD does not log all the IMAP commands to syslog.  It will log the
IP address and username to syslog.

To get all the gory details about the IMAP commands, you'll need to enable
IMAP telemetry logging.  Go to your {configdirectory}/log/ directory (I
think it is /var/spool/cyrus/config/log on Debian).  Inside that
directory, make a directory for the username you want to capture telemetry
logs.  Make sure you give cyrus permissions to write to the directory.

Cyrus will create a new file for each connection by that username.  The
files will contain the actual IMAP commands issued.  You do not need to
restart Cyrus for this to take effect, but it will only happen on new
connections, not existing connections.

 	Andy