Cyrus Deadblocking

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Dec 15 08:40:31 EST 2008

> since yesterday i have strange behavier of my productive mail server, and i
> cannt find the reason for 2 days allready.

Does "dmesg" show anything odd?

> I didnt changed anything lately, but yesterday my cyrus starts rise cpu
> load up to 100% and after some time it stop responding. Mostly its a lmtp
> process, but it happends to pop3 also, or to imapd process self.
> What helps - restart. There is nothing in the log what would show the
> problem.

If you attach to a hung process with "strace -p {pid}" what does it look
like?

> All sendmail processes, as they use smmapd for local delivery are blocked
> also.
> Ca. 2 weeks ago i updated glibc to 2.9 version. But it worked this two
> weeks fine.

Did you restart the services after the update?

> I am on gentoo box.

Oh.....

> [ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/db-4.6.21_p3-r1  USE="-bootstrap -doc -java -nocxx
> -tcl -test" 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/glibc-2.9_p20081201  USE="gd (multilib) nls -debug
> -glibc-compat20 -glibc-omitfp (-hardened) -profile (-selinux) -vanilla" 0
> kB
> [ebuild   R   ] net-mail/cyrus-imapd-2.3.13  USE="idled pam ssl tcpd
> (-drac) -kerberos -kolab -nntp -replication -snmp" 0 kB

I assume the above is some Gentoo thing.

> I use squater, sieve, imap and pop3. Ipurge starts from cron time to time.
> If cyrus goes in to the blocking state,

Sounds to be like Cyrus is not the only thing getting hung,  which
indicates the problem probably lies elsewhere.