murder configuration issue final stretch

Gary W. Smith gary at primeexalia.com
Tue Dec 9 19:50:57 EST 2008

Wesley,

I'm on the final stretch.  I have mailboxes seen at all angles.  If I telnet to the frontend I can see the backend mailboxes on both servers.  Yay.  The problem now is delivery.  I tried setting up lmtpproxyd but I get some errors and the email gets queued up on the frontend server.  This is fine for now while we have the mail going to the proper places on the backend but going forward we will need to be able to deliver via the frontend (or murder server).

on the frontend:
/etc/cyrus.conf
lmtp          cmd="lmtpproxyd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=0

/var/lib/imap/socket
srwxrwxrwx  1 root  root    0 Dec  9 19:38 lmtp

mailq contains:
(host mdsfe[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp] said: 451 4.4.3 Remote server unavailable (in reply to end of DATA command))

Please correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that lmtp will be used to deliver the message from the frontend to the backend (thus bypassing postfix in this case).  When I do a netstat -atunep on the backend server, I don't see the lmtp port open.  I would assume that this could be part of the problem.

On the backend servers, we have this line in the /etc/cyrus.conf

lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1
I've also tried
lmtp          cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1 (with prefork 0 and 1 -- example show zero).

Any ideas on how to resolve this part?  Or better question, what am I missing (besides a few screws).

Gary