root file system full: master.core?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 06:25:47 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Martin Schweizer
<schweizer.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I use FreeBSD 7.0 an a single server with cyrus v2.3.12p2. So fare all
> works well. After the update from FreeBSD 6.3 to 7.0 I got always when
> I start cyrus a file which is called master.core in /etc/rc.d which
> has around 65MB. The problem here is that the root file system is now
> quite full. Any ideas?

This look like a "core dump" ! The dump of the memory of a process
when it crashed.
This should help you to find why it crashed !

Can you look in your log files at the creation time of this "core
dump" to see for any error ?

Are you sure master.core is coming from a problem with cyrus ?
Because postfix  "master" is also called master !

Could you remove this file and restart cyrus service ? Does this file
come back ?
If not can you try with postfix service ?

FYI : the ulimit command can't be used to "disable" the core dump
creation by setting a maximum size to 0
But this doesnt' solve the problem, just hide it.

> Kind regards,
> --
> Martin Schweizer
> schweizer.martin at gmail.com